Sunday, April 13, 2008

Domingo

I'm reading Lost and Philosophy today. Of any tv show I don’t know of any that captures so many different motifs and themes in everyday and abstract understandings. The most interesting nugget I've caught so far is this argument – Carl Schmitt’s normative theory of social relation formation:

The construction of an “enemy” is necessary for the formation, development, and internal cohesion of society; ipso facto, conflict and social (even interpersonal) war is not only desirable, but essential and perceived as somehow ‘natural’, ‘the way life works’, ‘part of human nature’, or simply ‘common sense reality’. – Lost and Philosophy, 171

Of course it's abhorrent in non-academic practice, but I can see how this theory has been incredibly helpful to studies of authoritarian justification.

Now for one of my new favorite shows, The Office - this scene made me laugh so hard I think I might have cracked a rib:

In other news, today was the last day of my favorite radio show:

Due to the tragic death of Michael Sorce's (Don Geronimo) beloved wife, the show's window closed. On the bright side, today I found my 2nd-favorite candy for sale at the check-out counter:
Aside from Mounds bars, my favorite candy of all-time, these things kick ass.

No comments: