Monday, June 22, 2009

Lost withdrawal syndrome

I'm having Lost withdrawals - thank God EW is still around to speculate on the best show ever.

I even check the Lost spoiler blog on a semi-regular basis. It's bad. It's still for a show that totally rocks. Therefore, it's good!

Today I heard some really funny stories from a colleague at work about a lady who tried to hang herself (don't worry, it was woefully unsuccessful) after getting a public intoxication charge - for public drunkenness, hang yourself?! I'll never understand some people. I heard the most sad story about an Iranian university student named Neda who was murdered by a pro-cleric militia gunman on the streets of Tehran - I won't go into it, but it's pretty gut-turning - I watched the video of her death on YouTube, it's heart-wrenching, I'm going to pray for her tonight. Today as I was walking out of Wal-Mart to my car I was thinking how incredibly hot it was, even though it was dark, and realized how amazing the universe is - the land I walked on was still inhospitably hot at night because it's summer, a product of a few degrees shift in the tilt of the Earth's axis. Incredible. I'd love to watch an IMAX about the Universe, it's just breathtaking how BIG the universe is. Many astrophysicists suggest it's highly likely that there are many other universes in addition to our own. Not only that, but it's now been agreed upon widely that our universe is expanding at an accelerating rate. "Huge" still falls short of a good description - even for the closest planets to us, we have to measure distance by how many years it would take light to travel from Earth to a given destination. I mean, light! Light's an instantaneous phenomenon in our daily lives, but imagine measuring distances so vast that it takes light energy years to travel across. It's just so BIG, and we're so SMALL, I find myself in utter awe of this thing we exist in.Random thought: One day, when I have more time on my hands and I'm much older, I'd love to go back to the one math that I absolutely loved: Geometry. In high-school, I had a really hard time working Algebra. Algebra was my Achilles' heel - actually more like my Achilles' heel magnified X 1000. Geometry on the other hand, I was the bomb at, and I
loved it! For so many years, whatever math course I was in was the bane of my existence, but for one year in high school, it was one of my primary strengths. Just randomly, I'd like to get back into Geometry when I'm older, just for shi*s and giggles.

(Last thing I saw on TV tonight) - wow, Aqua Teen Hunger Force is so random and funny


No comments: