Saturday, June 20, 2009

Gym of the Future?

The gym I'm going to is incredible. First, it's the size of a K-Mart. The first floor is split between free-weights and machine-weights. Then there is a pool. And a movie theater with treadmills and ellipticals inside. On the second floor, for circuit trainers, there is a suspended quarter-mile track. Then there are more treadmills and ellipticals, which have TV's you can optionally watch, or you can just listen to your IPOD to at your leisure. Then the locker room - the 'lockers' are cherrywood cabinets you can keep your valuables in, and there are fountains on the walls. I'm still in awe..

I'm in the middle of watching the movie "Dick Tracy" tonight - I wanted to see it as a kid but never actually got around to it, and as luck would have it it's on tonight. I have to say - this movie strikes me as oddly right-wing. The main character's heroic refrain vindicating the justice he metes out is "it's the law". The "bad guys" are a pastiche medley of comic book mobsters named "Flat-Top", "Pruneface", and "Mumbles". The criminal activities Tracy aims to end are illegal gambling and prostitution houses and the sale of alcohol. Righteousness is embedded in a culture of prohibition and the law is incontestable - obey the police and you're a good guy, disagree with the law and you're a bad guy - the characters are so politically ultra-conservative, the D.A.'s working with the bad guys - literally, the only heroes are the police. The movie itself is fairly predictable, but after a week of work, sometimes it's nice to watch a movie that doesn't require you to think much.. It's just so interesting!

No comments: